Lori, my wife, asked if there was any way to visualize the signatures she’s been collecting for the Senator Scott Fitzgerald’s recall. She was interested in both inspiring volunteers and in analyzing the distribution of signers. After finding a post about QGIS‘s Time Manager, this was relatively easy to pull off:
Short version of procedure
- Collect addresses in spreadsheet (LibreOffice).
- Modify date of signature to conform with Time Manager’s format and add random offset (so all signatures on the same day don’t appear at exactly the same time).
- Geocode using GPSVisualizer’s batch geocoder (built on Yahoo’s geocoder).
- Import delimited text (*.csv) file into QGIS. Export layer as shapefile.
- Create three versions as suggested by underdark and set Time Manager settings.
- Export sequence to series of images.
- Use AviSynth and VirtualDub to create video.